Monday, June 29, 2009

Buy local II

This is an expansion on the preceding post about shunning local products. I wrote this on Campbell Malaysia's online feedback form.:

I recently bought a can of Campbell's Tomato soup, proudly made in Malaysia by Campbell Cheong Chan's factory. It turned out to be a real let-down.

I have been consuming Campbell's condensed soups since childhood. In the good old days, they were all imported. And they were all of good quality, especially the chunky varieties.

When Campbell announced a few years ago that it was acquiring the Malaysian plant of Cheong Chan with the aim of making the canned soups locally. I told my friends - “I think we had better switch to Heinz soups or learn how to make our own blended soups.
I bet the quality sure suffers as is the case with all locally produced foodstuffs.'

Sure enough, I was right. The above can of Tomato soup is testimony of my assertion that locally made products are just not up to the mark. Where the Campbell Tomato soup I was used to was a creamy tomatoey colour and consistency, the locally made one looked like thin tomato ketchup in color and consistency. Please don't try to give me any ballyhoo about catering to local tastes, etc. Eating tomato soup is an acquired taste for Malaysians, nothing local about it - nice try though. The can of soup when made according to directions tasted just like what we can make from a bottle of tomato ketchup, and more cheaply at that.

I'll bet ol' Joe Campbell would turn in bis grave if he knew what you chaps are doing to his brand of soups.

Believe me, I am not ever buying any Campbell canned soups again. The quality and high costs make it an insult to my intelligence. Even my own version of Tomato soup made from fresh tomatoes tasted much better than your canned soup. I hate to be insulted and made to pay for shoddy quality. Campbell soup? Never again.


AND, THIS WAS THEIR REPLY :


Dear J.

Re: Feedback on Campbell's Tomato Soup

Thank you for your feedback regarding Campbell's Tomato Soup. We are sorry that you didn't enjoy our soup as much as you have hoped.

We work hard to make sure we meet our consumer expectations and provide them with the quality and taste they have come to expect of our products. For example, we continuously talk to consumers to seek their feedback on our existing product range, for opportunities to further improve our products and gather concepts for new ideas,. Hence, whilst we are disappointed that you dislike this product we very much appreciate your feedback.

Thank you again for taking the time to get in touch with us. Campbell's Soups values consumer feedback that enable us to continually grow.

Regards,
Campbell's Soup Customer Service



- There you have it.


Alright, where's the recipe book for those good old blended soups?