Sunday, November 11, 2007

Best friend.......

Next to a good human friend, a dog is the best companion. It gives you unconditional love and loyalty in return for just a bit of caring and food. It never questions or judges you much less nag at you.

I live in an apartment now so keeping a dog is out of the question. Have kept at least 5 dogs since childhood - couple of them got stolen, 1 died in accident, the rest died of old age. Chinese believe dogs bring luck; not sure about this but I can recall my life went very smoothly when I kept a dog. My life went doggone when I didn't have a doggy pet. In fact, a dog saved my life on the same day I took her from the animal shelter in Johor but that is a story for another day.

I like playing with friends' dogs. I also make frequent trips to big pet shops to view the puppies there. 'Aiya, tat bugger again! See but never buy, what a deadbeat!' - I bet this is what goes thru pet shop owners' minds whenever I pop around. Besides my love for the furry critters, seeing them is good therapy for my blood pressure. I feel more relaxed whenever I see a tail wagging bundle of fur. This obsession with dogs has gotten so bad that I have a folder named Cute Dogs in my computer, filled with doggy pictures culled from the internet. A stuffed toy puppy given by a friend some time back ranks among my prized mementos.

Next to pet shops, I try to go to animal shelters as much as possible. They need newspapers to line the cages, so I send over as much as I can. Better to give to the animal shelter than sell to the paper-lama-man for a pittance.

So if you have newspapers lying around, send them to an animal shelter such as PAWS near Subang airport. The critters will thank you for your kindness.

Woof, miaow ................