Friday, March 9, 2007

Fries with that??

Fast food advertisements to be banned ??!! Reason? To promote a healthier lifestyle among Malaysians. This will only hold true if a blanket ban across all media channels such as television, radio, printed media, etc. is imposed. No point if only RTM bans such ads or on children programs. Fast food companies cry foul, saying their food is healthy and balanced while at the same time casting aspersions on other local foods such as nasi lemak, roti canai, et al.

I am not overly perturbed by this scenario; no issue really as I prefer the local stuff. What I cannnot fathom is why nobody has asked whether fast food such as burgers and fried chicken gives one value for money. At about RM9-10 per person for a burger set or 2-piece chicken set ( both with fries & soda); it certainly ain't cheap.

I remember when I first tried a large burger over a score years ago (that pretty much tells you my age) the meat patty used to be thicker. There was more to bit into and the cheese slice tasted more like real cheese. Now the meat patty looks and tastes more like a soggy disc of dark cardboard. I suppose corners had to be cut to keeps costs down and profits up so we can tell everyone our burgers are the cheapest in the world. The cheese, sigh, tastes just like something from the lab - plasticky. I have always considered ready sliced cheese as plastic. Jamie Oliver showed how to make nice beef patties recently on tv, may be a recipe on his website.

I also recall that the fried chicken pieces used to be larger than now. When it first started, the fried chicken chain said that the birds had to be of a minimum weight (this I can't recall, can anybody throw some light on this?) in order to be used. Common cow (or chicken?) sense will tell us that a bird of any size will yield the same 8 parts – 2 drumsticks, 2 wings, 2 breasts and 2 flanks; only the said parts will be smaller or bigger. Using a smaller bird will definitely yield more profit, you don't need to be a rocket scientist to grasp this logic. My observations were confirmed during one of my visits to Singapore when I tried the fried chicken there (from the same named chain) – the chicken parts were definitely larger than what we get here. Mind you, the chooks used there come from our dear beloved country. Jeez, perhaps I shouldn't be using my singdollars just to satisfy this curiosity of mine, but I did. And came away that I was right after all. Now I steer a wide berth from such fried chicken, preferring to rustle up a roast chicky from an old recipe - can gorge to my satisfaction without feeling shortchanged.

A new fish burger was widely advertised, the ad showing a humongous fish patty that was larger than the bun that held it. Supposed to be substantially larger than the competition's fish burger. Damn fool that I was; I tried it and came away feeling diddled. The bloody bun was larger than the fish patty!. Wtf? Talk about deceptive advertising.

Pizzas. Mama mia, how can any self respecting Italiano bring himself to eat our local pizzas?. Do the maths and you'd conclude that it is a grossly overpriced pretender to the real thing. At about RM30 per large pizza, what do you get? A large flour disc with tomato paste, mozarella cheese, vege/fruit and meat toppings. The total meat protein content comes to about 2-fingers worth per pizza. The cheese is probably fake mozarella as the real McCoy is mucho expensive. The profit margin must be mind boggling. Which is why they can give you a one-for-one offer during promotions and still make a good profit. Started you thinking, right? But make your own choice, nothing stops you from blowing away your hard earned moolah if you are addicted to it. Free country.

I personally prefer to pig out at the restaurant run by a large furniture chain store in Mutiara Damansara. Not naming it cos I am not paid to advertise it but I guess you know as much. For under RM20, I can enjoy meat balls or poached salmon, with dessert and unlimited coffee refills (actually limited by only your bladder and your thick skin in making repeated trips to the dispensing machine, blush). If appetite permits, grab a platter of smoked salmon too. Atmosphere is so-so being more of a diner than a real upmarket place. Just the place to bring a buddy for a tete-a- tete. Healthier food too. Kiasu bugger that I am, I do sometimes go for breakfast there. 9 to 11am. If you scramble (right kiasu term to use, nyuk) there by 10am, RM2 (read two) buys you a plate of nasi lemak with sotong or 2 small pieces of chicky or you can opt for the boiled eggs set with toast/buns. Coffee (or rather the cup) is gratis before 10am. They charge RM3 for the coffee after 10am. I shan't disclose how many cuppa coffees I gulp down. You can guess. Talk about the cheapest brekky in town, it doesn't get any better than this. I hope they don't get any bright ideas about raising prices after this. Lotsa people will curse me for my big mouth.

So make your pick. One man's meat is another's poison. Bon appetit!